Saturday, April 23, 2011

SISTER

TITLE: SISTER
AUTHOR: ROSAMUND LUPTON
Pages: 358
Date: 22/04/2011
Grade: 5
Own



On the front cover of my copy of this book there is a quote from Jeffrey Deaver stating: "Truly Marvelous! As compelling as it is stylish, Sister exists in that rare place where crime fiction and literature coincide."
I'm not quite sure what I could possibly add to that statement.
This is a story told by Beatrice who hurries home to London from New York when she hears that her younger sister Tess is missing.
Back home in London she soon discovers that no matter how close she and her sister were there is still a lot she didn't know about her sister's life.
When Tess' body is found, dead, the police and everybody else seem willing to accept that Tess committed suicide. Beatrice however can't and won't accept that verdict and is determined to find out exactly what happened to her sister and why. In the process she not only has to dissect her sister's life, but also face the fact that although her own life seemed save and just what she wanted, it lacked a lot. And all the time, while she is getting closer to the truth of what actually happened to her sister, she is putting herself in danger.
This was a wonderful thriller, with a plot realistic enough to make the story both believable and totally captivating. I found myself almost incapable of putting the book down and read it from start to finish in little over one day. It is also a very well written novel, with wonderful insight into the character's motivations. Often in thrillers I find myself wondering if I, or anybody else would actually act in a certain way. In this book though, every action of the characters seemed perfectly natural to me, and all the while the tension was mounting.
If you haven't read this book yet, and you like thrillers and mysteries, please do yourself a favour and get your hands on a copy. You won't regret it, I promise.

I want to end this entry with one quote from the book that really struck home with me:
p. 61: "Time didn't mean anything to me anymore. Usually time alters and affects everything, but when someone you love dies time cannot change that, no amount of time will ever change that, so time stops having any meaning."

No comments: