Wednesday, January 5, 2011

ALICE IN WONDERLAND

TITLE: ALICE IN WONDERLAND
AUTHOR: LEWIS CARROLL
Pages: 164
Date:; 04/01/2011
Grade: 4
Library

It's hard to know what to write about story that everybody in the world must be familiar with, even if they haven't read the book.
Most people would know about the little girl, Alice, who is out with her sister when she sees a White Rabbit in a waistcoat, looking anguishedly at his pocket-watch, muttering to himself about being late.
Being a curious little girl, Alice can't help herself and follows the rabbit down a rabbit hole only to find herself in a world filled with strange and wonderful creatures.
She finds herself growing very small and very tall in turns, scaring little animals by mentioning her cat, playing a strange game of croquet and taking part in a trial in front of the king and queen of Hearts, who appear to be obsessed with chopping heads off.
This is a wonderful children's book, and I enjoyed reading it.
My main reason for picking it up though was to familiarize myself with Wonderland and it's creatures now that I've taken a liking to Frank Beddor's Looking Glass Wars series, and I do feel that I'll have a better picture in my head now.
This copy of the book also contained the nonsense rhyme, The Hunting of the Snark. Which is exactly what it proclaims to be, nonsense put to rhyme. Great fun, but don't try to make sense of it.
Now I'm ready to get back to Beddor's series in the near future.


Two side-notes:

I read the short biography of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) that was included in the book and have to say I had quite a few qualms about his fondness of children and little girls in particular. I can't help wondering what we would think about him if he were alive now. Having said that, maybe I'm seeing sinister motives where none were intended by Carroll. I suppose we will never know for sure.

Finally, here is what must be my favourite quote from the story:

"Begin at the beginning, the king said, very gravely, and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

No comments: