Sunday, January 17, 2010

THE READ-A-THONE ENDS; 206 BONES & THE SURROGATE THIEF

Well, the Mystery Read-a-Thon is, for me at least, over.
I had planned a very quiet weekend with lots of time for reading. It didn't quite work out that way. The aftermath of our week without water took up far more of my time than I had anticipated and resulted in my reading being a lot more interrupted than I would have liked. But, in the end, I did manage to find 12 hours for reading. And here are the statistics for this weekend:
Time spend reading; Approximately 12 hours
Books started: 2
Books finished: 2
* 206 BONES by Kathy Reichs
* THE SURROGATE THIEF by Archer Mayor
Pages read: 547.
Underneath I will write some more about the Read-a-Thon experience and my thoughts on the two books.

TITLE: 206 BONES
AUTHOR: KATHY REICHS
Pages: 303
Date: 17/01/2010
Grade: 5
Details: no. 12 Temperance Brennan Series
Own

The first book I started and finished during this weekend's Mystery Read-a-Thon. And I have to say it was great to dedicate twelve hours to just reading, I enjoyed every single minute of it. The fact that I'd picked two great mysteries for this weekend definitely helped in providing that enjoyment.
I've read every book in the Temperance Brennan series, and I don't think I've ever been disappointed by any one of them. This book was no exception.
In this book things get very personal and potentially lethal for Tempe.
When the book starts we find Brennan waking up in a pitch black, cold place, her hands and feet tied up and not know how or why she ended up wherever she is. As she starts her fight for freedom, safety and life, the reader learns about the events leading up to her ending up in the trouble she is in.
It all starts when Brennan is accused of having made a crucial mistake in the autopsy of a heiress. She is able to proof that she didn't, but is unable to find out who made the accusation.
Back in Montreal, she and Ryan are involved in the investigation of the murders of several elderly women. Murders that appear to be connected to each other and to the death of the heiress. But who or what links them them remains as unclear as the future of her future with Ryan.
Meanwhile Brennan appears to be making mistake after mistake in her work, while at the same time the atmosphere in her workplace grows ever more toxic. Is Brennan really losing it, or is something more sinister going on.
As always, Reichs delivered a well written and plotted mystery with just the right mix of technical detail and page turning tension. Brennan and Ryan's relationship remains interesting and believable. A good book that left me wanting more, and resenting the fact that I will probably have to wait at least a year before the next one will be available.

TITLE: THE SURROGATE THIEF
AUTHOR: ARCHER MAYOR
Pages: 220
Date: 17/01/2010
Grade: 5
Details: no. 15 Joe Gunther Mystery
Library

And now for the second book I finished this weekend, and another great read. I have to say, I picked my books well.
It's been a few years since I last read a book in this series, and against my principles I skipped about 6 books in this series in order to read this one. But, I haven't been able to get my hands on the other books, and I like this series too much to be able to ignore a title when I do find it, even if that means reading it out of order.
The story begins with a domestic hostage situation going horribly wrong when someone is shot and killed. The gun used turns out to be connected to an 32 year old, unsolved murder case. A case Joe Gunther investigated at the time, while his much loved wife was dying from cancer.
At the time he had a likely suspect, who disappeared before Joe could get his hands on him, and hasn't been seen since.
Now that the gun has been found, Joe reopens the investigation, but with it the painful memories and doubts about his handling of the original case also surface.
And when the investigation of the past leads to murders in the present, the case gains a new urgency.
A very well written and plausible mystery. Gunther is a likable, recognizable, flawed and utterly human main character. I really hope that I'll stumble across more books in this series, soon.

No comments: