Friday, November 27, 2009

BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE MUSEUM

TITLE: BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE MUSEUM
AUTHOR: KATE ATKINSON
Pages: 333
Date: 27/11/2009
Grade: 4+
Library

It is really nice to be surprised by a book every now and again.
Challenged to do so by the Frontline Library course I'm doing, I picked this book very uncertain as to whether or not I would like it. In fact, I was all set to only read a chapter or two and then discard the book, again as suggested by the course. Especially since I had tried a book by Atkinson before, only to give up on it.
However, once I had started this book, I found myself intrigued by the story and its main character, and putting the book aside unfinished was no longer an option.
This is the story of Ruby Lennox, as narrated by her, literally from the moment of her conception. it is also the story of her mother, her grandmother and her great-grandmother, whose lives we visit in separate chapters called "footnotes".
None of these women's stories are happy. In fact, tragic would probably be a better word to describe their lives, yet the book had me laughing out loud on several occasions.
And Ruby's journey through childhood and to the point where she is at peace with herself, her past, her life and her family is fascinating.
I may have to give another book by Atkinson a try soon.

No comments: