Wednesday, May 27, 2009

THE BLUE RELIGION


TITLE: THE BLUE RELIGION
EDITED BY: MICHAEL CONNELLY
Pages: 366
Date: 27/05/2009
Grade: 4
Details: A Mystery Writers of America Anthology
Library

I don't think I'll ever be a big fan of short stories. They always seem to leave me dissatisfied. Just when I'm really getting into the characters and the rhythm of the story, it's over.
However, one thing I can say in favour of these anthologies is that they do give me an idea of what so far unknown to me authors are like. For that reason, I'll list the titles and authors of the stories in this book here, as well as their individual grades. The four I graded the whole book is the average of these individual grades. An interesting aside here is that the stories with the highest grades are by authors I already know and love.
* SKINHEAD CENTRAL by T. Jefferson Parker (4)
* SACK O' WOE by John Harvey (3.5)
* THE DROUGHT by James O. Born
* A CERTAIN RECOLLECTION by John Buentella (4.5)
* A CHANGE IN HIS HEART Jack Fredrickson (4)
* THE HERALD by Leslie Glass
* SUCH A LUCKY, PRETTY GIRL by Persia Walker
* FRIDAY NIGHT LUCK by Edward D. Hach
* THE FOOL by Laurie R. King (5)
* BURYING MR. HENRY by Polly Nelson (4)
* OATHS, OHANA AND EVERYTHING by Diana Hansen (4)
* THE PRICE OF LOVE by Peter Robinson (4+)
* CONTACT AND COVER by Greg Rucka (4-)
* RULE NUMBER ONE by Bev Vincent (4)
* WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD by Paul Guyot (3.5)
* WINNING by Alafair Burke (4)
* FATHER'S DAY by Michael Connelly (5+); a very welcome reunion with Harry Bosch.

1 comment:

Bev Vincent said...

Thanks for reviewing the anthology -- I was thrilled to be a part of it. I'm always fascinated by the mystery community's response to short fiction, since it's a form that I enjoy. There are precious few professional markets for short mystery fiction, though, unlike other genres.