Monday, April 27, 2009

THE BLIND ASSASSIN


TITLE: THE BLIND ASSASSIN
AUTHOR: MARGARET ATWOOD
Date: 27/04/2009
Grade: 5
Details: Re-read (1st read 20/02/2002)
Audio / Abridged / 5 CD's / 6 Hours
Narrator: Lorelei King
Library Book club selection
Library

Before I start on the story in this book, let me say that I'm not a fan of abridged audio versions of books. I feel you always miss way too much in a shortened telling of the story, too much detail gets left out. However, this was a re-read for me, I couldn't get my hands on a copy of the book and the only thing that was available was this audio book.
And, if I'm honest, I have to say that for the purpose of a re-read, and as a tool for refreshing your memory, an abridged audio book is not the worst idea. I think it worked for me this time anyway. Although I won't know that for sure until we get to the discussion of this book tomorrow.
Because I read and reviewed this book before, I'll copy my earlier review here, although I may add a few lines and edit a few other ones.
This book has several stories intermingling. There is the story about Laura and Lilly Chase, as told by Lilly, 50 years after her sister Laura drove a car of a bridge and died. It is also the story of a love affair between an unnamed man and woman, whose identities are kept obscure on purpose. And finally there is the science fiction story the man tells the woman on the occasions when they get together.
But much more than that it is a story about betrayal, sacrifice, secrets, selfishness and loneliness. In many ways it's a heartbreaking story in which there are no winners and no happy endings.
There are several secrets in the story which are only revealed very late in the book, although it was possible to guess at what they were. And once you figure out who the woman in the affair is, all the other pieces fall into place.
This book managed to fascinate me for a second time, which is quite an accomplishment, and I wouldn't rule out reading this book again at some point in the future.
Quote from page 632:
In Paradise there are no stories, because there are no journeys. it's loss and regret and misery that drive the story forward along its twisted road.

No comments: