Saturday, January 17, 2009

THE FRIDAY NIGHT KNITTING CLUB


TITLE: THE FRIDAY NIGHT KNITTING CLUB
AUTHOR: KATE JACOBS
Pages: 491
Date: 17/01/2009
Grade: 4.5
Details: Large Print edition
Library

Georgia Walker has been running her knitting store and raising her daughter Dakota single-handedly for over 10 years. Over time, some of her regulars have started gathering at her store on Friday nights, a get-together that soon turns into a regular event, and the knitting club is born.
Starting of as a collection of mainly unconnected and apparently mismatched women with very little in common, life changing events, both positive and negative, soon bring the women together into a close knit bond, one that will last and one they will need to see them through.
This book wasn't noticeably different from most of the other "women friendship" books I've read. But it was a story well told, kept me turning the pages, brought tears to my eyes once or twice and made me smile after reading the last words.
I'm even thinking about finishing that jumper I started knitting a year ago.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Jacobs wrote a follow up to this book. I'm not quite sure how that could be possible or would work out, considering how this book ended, but I will check it out. And if there is a second book, I will read it.
(Discovered since writing this that there indeed is a second book called KNIT TWO, published in January 2009)

No comments: