Saturday, October 25, 2008

THE DANGEROUS SPORTS EUTHANASIA SOCIETY

TITLE: THE DANGEROUS SPORT EUTHANASIA SOCIETY
AUTHOR: CHRISTINE COLEMAN
Pages: 308
Date: 19/10/2008
Grade: 4.5
Library

Agnes Borrowdale is a week away from her 75th birthday when she climbs out of the window of her room in the old-people's home she hates. Worried about her grandchildren she hasn't seen in ages she's decided to go and find them to see if they're safe.
Her journey is far from straightforward, but along the road she meets some very nice and helpful people.
When she prevents Felix from killing himself, she invents the "Dangerous Sports Euthanasia Society" in the hope it will stop him from trying again. But soon the invented society has taken on a life of it's own, and Agnes finds that at 75 life is filled with surprises, adventures and discoveries; like the secret meaning of life: "the beautiful simplicity of letting go of fear".
This was a fun and delightful story, not like anything I can remember reading before. And original and uplifting read.
"If I can't be a shining example, at least I can be a dreadful warning."

1 comment:

Christine Coleman said...

Dear Meen
I set up Google to alert me to any mentions of my books, so I was thrilled to see that it's still being read and enjoyed by new readers, three years after its publication.(Recent alerts have been mostly for articles about euthanasia or suicide, which, as you know, is not what the book is about!)

Thanks you for your kind comments on my book - I'm very glad that you enjoyed it.

Best wishes

Christine Coleman
www.christinecoleman.net

By the way, I'd be intrigued to hear how you came across my book. These days, it's usually via the Bookcrossing organisation.