Saturday, September 22, 2007

PERISH BY PEDICURE

TITLE: PERISH BY PEDICURE
AUTHOR: NANCY J. COHEN
Pages: 243
Date: 22/09/2007
Grade: 4-
Details: nr. 8 in the Bad Hair Day Mysteries
Library

This was the 11th book I read in the Cozy Mystery Challenge.
I don't think I'll be returning to this series. If I remember correctly, I wasn't overly impressed with the first instalment in this series, which I read some years ago, and this one didn't really work for me either.
The thing is, I'm not sure why I don't like these books.
There is nothing much wrong with the mystery or the characters, but I can't seem to get into the story. So I don't mind putting these books down and find myself in no particular hurry to get back to them. And since there are so many series out there I do enjoy, I'm just going to be giving this one a miss.
As for the story; Marla Shore is invited to help out at a beauty show, when on the welcome cocktail party the company's director, Christine Parks, is murdered. Christine was not liked by anyone who worked for her, so there's no shortage of suspects, including Marla's friend Christine.
Determined to clear her friend's name as well as increase her chances of working with the company in the future, Marla sets out on an investigation.
But her attention is divided because she has her fiance's ex-in laws staying in her house, apparently determined to find fault with her. And of course the murderer is determined to make sure that she won't get to the truth.
All the ingredients for a good and exciting read are here, but for some reason it just didn't work for me.

No comments: