Saturday, July 14, 2007

MAKING WAVES

TITLE: MAKING WAVES
AUTHOR: CASSANDRA KING
Pages: 267
Date: 14/07/2007
Grade: 4
Library

Hmmm, don't know what to say about this book. It's a very well written story and a fascinating read. And it sure didn't end the way I thought it would. All positives.
But.... I didn't like the character of Donnette at all. I wanted to, but I just couldn't. And I couldn't understand her actions, never mind approve of them.
And in a way this book wasn't finished with the last word for me. Not in itself a bad thing. In fact, I often enjoy fantasising about how the characters might get on after the last page. But in this case I could see more story after the books' ending then was in the book itself. And my follow up story did not have a happy ending.

This is the story of 20 year old Donnette, who's husband, Tim, saw a very promising football career ended before it even began due to a car crash.
It's also the story of Taylor, who drove the car that wrecked the life of his best friend.
Taylor hasn't been back to his small home town in Alabama since the accident, but does return when the aunt who raised him falls ill and fears being shipped off to a nursing home.
His return opens old wounds and resentments. And while the truth could have healed those wounds and replace them with friendship. it instead serves to create a bigger divide.
Like I said, for me, not a satisfying ending to this story.

No comments: